Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Books I've Read

Oh dear, oh dear. I can't recall every book I've read in my lifetime! Especially those I read when I was still a wee little girl, because who can remember all the copious amounts of children's books that their parents read to them when they were children.
But when I was really little, my favorite books were.... one about an elephant, like... no more elephants or something like that, and something about a little kid who just said no all the time. I loved that one.
But then I started reading the American Girl Doll books when I was a kid, and then the other books written by the American Girl people, which were mysteries. Loved those. My favorite book in later elementary school and early middle school was The Wanderer (I think it was called) and Fever 1793 (which I still LOVE). Then when I got into high school, I read lots of books for school. In ninth grade, I read a ton of boring books that I hated (HIROSHIMA KILL ME PLEASE) but I also read Night, by Elie Weisle (spell check?) and the Hobbit. We read Watership down but I wasn't a huge fan of that one. The summer of 10th grade we read....Siddhartha (about buddhism) Anthem (SO GOOD) and...

Things.
Fall.
Apart.
Honestly, book changed my life.
Made me hate reading.

Book about nothing. So... awful.

And then in 10th grade, it was the year of wonderful books in Lit class.
We read:
To Kill a Mocking Bird
1984
Farenheit 451
Lord of the Flies
Hamlet
and a couple others that I must not have enjoyed as much.
Oh!
We read Oedipus Rex trilogy, my favorite being Antigone.

In eleventh grade we suffered a bit more. We had to read The Scarlet Letter, Waldon (Walton?), Ethan Frome, Grapes of Wrath, and a couple others that killed me slowly. And that class was difficult because I very nearly NEVER read these books. I read half of Grapes of Wrath, but it turns out that it's a 500 page book about the great depression and the dust bowl which was a bummer.
Oh! We read the Crucible by Arthur Miller. That was a gooooood one.
Then the summer before 12th grade we read The Awakening by Kate Chopin, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and the Color Purple, all of which I enjoyed. Except I didn't finish Tess because I ran out of time. Then we read:
The Stranger
Heart of Darkness
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Gulliver's Travels

and a few others. Oh!
Macbeth! I LOVED Macbeth. I have a huge thing for Shakespeare.

And then I didn't read for leisure AT ALL because public education killed it for me. Freshman year I read a few books in Great Conversation, then I read most of Persuasion (?), O Pioneers! Elegance of the Hedgehog, The Purple Hibiscus, Interpreter of Maladies... and one other book whose title escapes me at the moment. There might have been a couple others but I can't really remember right now.
And in Nobel Lit right now I've read:
Old Man and the Sea
The Land of the Green Plums
The Pickup
Death and the Kings Horseman
The Birthday Party

and then some books for other classes that I all but threw in a garbage disposal. Bleh.

And I've read the first Harry Potter and a half, and Message in a Bottle, the Notebook, and the Lucky One, all by Nicholas Sparks.
Hopefully I'll do a bit more leisure reading over christmas break.

PS

The Next entry to my positive thoughts log will be written to you from the comfort of my own home! {HURRAH!}

Wish me luck on taking exams on the books which I haven't read!


No comments:

Post a Comment